Thursday, July 24, 2008

I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants!

I can't think of a better death sentence for all plants than to be digested alive!

In truth, that was just a funny bumper sticker I saw once. Sarah and I haven't been vegetarians, but we are giving it a shot for one month to see how it feels. Over ten years ago, I remember saying I'd "consider" (in quotes because I don't think I really did) being vegetarian for health reasons and that the benefit for animals was simply a side bonus. Today, I think that sentiment is reversed. Yay health, but humane treatment of animals is what I think might be able to get me to actually do this. I've been considering trying for a few months now, ever since I read Douglass Hofstadter's I am a Strange Loop, which has some inspiring discussion on the topic. It is a book about consciousness (the consciousness of animals relevant to talking about how we treat them).

And it does feel like it will be difficult, hence starting out small with a one month goal. I'd be lying if I didn't admit I love Rudy's BBQ. Hopefully the difficulty will only be at first and become easier over time. That is exactly how it went with sodas when we challenged ourselves to quit them for a year. Now I wonder how I used to drink them instead of wondering how I could live without them. Maybe by posting publicly about this (sorta publicly, since no one is reading), guilt can drive this endeavor beyond a month, but with any luck maybe it will just end up feeling better both for body and mind and no guilt will ultimately be required. Or maybe the satisfaction of violent plant deaths... Anyway, I'll let ya know how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. It's been over a year now, so how did it go?

    Another unusual suggestion for coming to terms with this issue would be a sort of inverse test. I.E. spend a month eating only meat that you've killed and butchered yourself. Obviously that's difficult with beef and pork but shouldn't be hard to arrange with chicken and fish. If it's OK for me to eat animals then I shouldn't have a problem killing them. At least that's my feeling, and that's also why I'm vegitarian.

    ReplyDelete